Monday, August 17, 2009

Review A Popular Blog Or Website About Your Topic #1

*All of the links are completely worth clicking on (there's nothing graphic, so no need worry).


I decided on Pat Doyle's list of blog ideas was that it gave me structure, but also allowed me to do whatever the fuck I wanted to do. Today, I revel in that very notion.

Since my blog "topic" is vague and random (well, random to you, my readers; t all makes sense in my head (scary thought, I know)), I wanted to review something that everyone is at least a little bit interested in.

My topic came to mind rather quickly, which was encouraging at first, but mildly disturbing (you'll see in a minute) after I spent a good hour scouring the web for the perfect blog/website to review.

Want to know what the I decided on?

Do you?

I'm sure you do.

I know would.

This is how you...

...create...

...tension.

Ok, enough dicking around. My topic...

FURRIES!

Using WikiFur, I will inform both you (my audience) and myself (me) about the world of the Furry.

Ok, maybe interested wasn't the right word.

First off, for those who don't know what a wiki is, let me enlighten you. A wiki is essentially a collaborative website that has content submitted, edited, and (potentially) removed by those who can access it. The most popular (and obvious) wiki is Wikipedia. There is a wiki for pretty much everything, which is both awesome and insanely weird (see this blog).

I'm not presuming you're unintelligent, but since I went out of my way to define what a wiki is, I should probably define a Furry. When I typed "furry" into WikiFur, the main definition is as follows: "The word furry has several meanings, dependent on the context in which it is used. Predominantly, it means 'consisting of or resembling fur.' It also pertains to an interest in anthropomorphic animals and/or mythological or imaginary creatures which possess human or superhuman capabilities. The plural form of Furry in all its contexts is furs or Furries; the subjects of Furry interest are also known as Furries. "

Kind of confusing, isn't it. To clear things up, please enjoy the following...ummm...pictoral definitions of Furries.

(Shirt-dress Furry)


(Parade of Furries)


(Reverse Sea Lion Furries)


(Klingon v. Furries)


(Ski Patrol Furries)


(Lion Piledriving Pigeon Furries)


(Staff of Ra Furry)


(Dire Straits Furries)


(The Family That Sheds Together, Stays Together Furries)


(1980's Cartoon Furries)


After perusing the Furry page on WikiFur for a while, I clicked on a link for the definition of Furries; apparently it's different.

It was not different, but it did lead me to a proverbial gold mine of Furry information. I found out there are 7 types of Furries. What follows is WikiFur's list with my own...insights.

1. Humans who want to be anthropomorphic beings, which means they want to be like this guy.

2. Humans who are members of the Furry Fandom (also called Furrydom, Furridom, Fur Fandom, Furdom; I would love to study the etymological differences between all of those, by the way). Furdom (the term I prefer (like my opinion matters)) spans the entire Furry world, which stretches from people who are into Star Fox to people who dress up like a fox and then have sex with someone else who is dressed like a chicken.

3. Humans who enjoy to draw, or can only draw, anthropomorphic beings. Apparently that's why Hitler failed out of art school. And in case you're wondering, I found this (Furries know no bounds!).

4. Humans who believe they have a spiritual connection to a particular animal. All I'm going to say is that there is a big difference between this kind of spirituality and this kind of spirituality.

5. Humans who enjoy dressing up in an anthropomorphic costume, and we're not talking about those fine folks who dress up as Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse and run around theme parks. It's definitely more like a tickle fight on a Twister mat.

6. Humans who are sexually attracted to anthropomorphic beings. For those of you who are interested in a fantastic book for either your coffee table or your bedroom, this exists.

7. Humans who practice FIAWOL, which is an acronym for Fandom Is A Way Of Life. Now, this is something that exists outside of the Furry world (my favorite being this guy from Trekkies), so I can't rip on it too bad. Fuck that, yes I can. BA BAM!

As I was looking around WikiFur, I kept coming across the term yiff (or yiffing). Obviously, I looked it up. It's seems that yiff started out as an onomatopoetic word used by Foxen, who could be some sort of roleplaying character (it's mentioned in passing) or doesn't exist at all (and someone just had a hard-on for these guys). Anyway, in Foxen's language, yiff either meant yes or hello. That's very much not what it means now. Today, yiff (or yiffing) is the sex act committed between two Furries. Awesome.

Weird. Well, at least that's what I thought, until I came across The Yiffy Guide To Safer Sex (this one is kinda graphic, but totally worth checking out). Basically it's a pamphlet that could be handed out at any safe sex talk...accept it as nudy pics of foxes, skunks, dogs, deer, and something that looks like a mercat.

I can't think of anything that this site doesn't have. Over the course of an evening, I've managed to learn more than everything I ever wanted to know about Furries. In fact, I've decided that WikiFur is such a wonderful, informative website, that I will revisit it for Find Some Offbeat Or Weird Website On Your Topic And Link To It, which is Pat Doyle's #13 blog idea.

Anyway, WikiFur is a pretty fantastic way to not only kill time, but also educate yourself on wonderful world of Furries.

5/5 Puppy Erics

9 comments:

  1. Pretty good. Pretty fuckin' good, I say!

    Well done. I laughed out loud a couple times. Excellent use of links. :)

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought that puppy faced guy looked familiar =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes all kinds to keep us thinking. I love Atlanta week. I think I know a few of them. Nice job on the new vocabulary words for the week. awsome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great- informative and hilarious. Previously, all I knew about Furries I learned in that episode of CSI where some Furry was murdered. I'm going to use my new knowledge as an ice breaker at parties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who would win in a fight? 5 puppy erics or 3 vitos?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is some seriously strange stuff but a compelling read. Thanks for all the random links. It really made the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. do the 5 puppy erics have rabies?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned so much! I had no idea. Thank you for answering all the questions that came up for me. The images and video really helped!I feel research like this is your strength, book reports and product rating are fun but strange topics such as this is were you need to stay for a while... hehehe saves me hours and makes me laugh.... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed the site! We aim to inform. :-)

    ReplyDelete